Flume 1 Battery Life
The Flume 1 water sensor is powered by 4 user-replaceable AA Lithium batteries. Battery life can vary greatly depending upon where the water sensor is installed.
If your water sensor is installed in a basement, your batteries will most likely last for one year or longer.
If your water sensor is installed in an outdoor meter pit, all of the following will help maximize battery life:
- Minimize the distance between the water sensor and the bridge.
- Have a direct line of sight between the water sensor and the bridge.
- Remove any obstacles between the water sensor and the bridge (especially automobiles and concrete walls with rebar).
- Use a plastic or concrete meter pit lid.
All of the following will reduce battery life:
- Outdoor meter pits with metal lids
- Outdoor meter pits that frequently fill with water
- A long distance between the water sensor and the bridge
- Obstacles between the water sensor and the bridge, such as walls that contain rebar and automobiles
Flume 2 Battery Life
The Flume 2 Water Sensor can hold either 1 battery pack or 2 battery packs. Due to the extended battery life of the Flume 2, 1 battery pack should last around 2 years, depending on the variables listed above. If you wish to extend your battery life further, 2 battery packs will last you up to 4 years. For more information on the Flume 2, click here.